Modernize and scale
Infosys Legacy Modernization solution provides enhanced flexibility by modernizing and migrating legacy systems, architectures and processes. It brings down the cost of running a business and fuels growth.
Your legacy systems, architectures and processes may be slowing you down
A significant part of the world's data resides in mainframes and is accessed by COBOL systems. CIOs and IT managers responsible for mainframe-based enterprise applications face challenges such as:
Legacy: retire, manage or transform?
- High cost of maintaining and upgrading legacy systems
- Risks associated with running business-critical applications on potentially unsupported hardware and software
- Inflexible and closed architectures hindering Web-enabling and integration with contemporary platforms
- Tightly coupled business processes that prevent you from adapting to changing business requirements
- Longer time to market resulting from complex development life cycles and a lack of productivity tools
- Demographic issues relating to shrinking labor pool expertise on legacy systems
- Higher SLA time for customers due to non-real-time architecture (i.e., batch systems) options
Infosys has done extensive research to identify rectification techniques. To compare these techniques, we have formulated a framework to evaluate the risks vs. benefits of each of these techniques. (See table)
||Non-invasive approach towards deploying legacy application on a contemporary platform to reduce high maintenance cost of applications on legacy platforms
||Rebuilding legacy applications on new technology / platform with the same or enhanced business functionality in a service-oriented architecture
||Unlocking of data in a service-oriented approach from closed architecture legacy systems to provide new access channels
||Legacy applications are replaced with modern, off-the-shelf packages or ERP software
Zoom We believe that none of the above techniques is a one-size-fits-all solution for the entire application portfolio. The task of balancing the risks vs. benefits involves careful analysis of the application portfolio and arriving at a mix-and-match modernization strategy. Infosys has generated IP around strategies for modernization.
Infosys Legacy Modernization methodology consists of two broad phases: assessment and enactment.
- Reduced cost: lowers high maintenance cost of existing legacy platforms, resulting in substantial savings in IT budgets
- Enhanced flexibility: creates a flexible IT environment with new architectural paradigms such as SOA, and aligns IT systems to dynamic business needs
- Minimized disruption: eases risk in modernizing legacy platforms by combining the experience of working on legacy systems for more than two decades with contemporary platforms, a proven modernization framework and rich domain knowledge