How we help with matters of the heart
We set out to develop an active three-dimensional model that simulates the working of a human heart. We wanted to do our bit to help save lives.
Develop an active three-dimensional model that simulates the working of the human heart
Why is this a significant problem?
- Heart diseases have emerged as the no.1 killer in India
- Medical professionals and scientists largely depend on real human hearts to improve their understanding of the complexities of heart disorders. With a near real-life model, the need to learn-on-the-job is greatly reduced
Why is the problem challenging?
- The need to combine anatomical and medical knowledge along with engineering expertise is not easily met
- Engineers had to collaborate with radiologists and medical experts to understand the heart's functioning, medical imaging, and 3D model generation
- For the first time, advanced engineering concepts were developed to model the human heart
- The model simulates the heart's functioning – in particular, the deformation of heart tissues due to stress conditions
- Helps medical professionals diagnose heart disorders faster and with a higher level of precision
- Aids medical device manufacturers in testing and validating implants, to detect and correct anomalies quickly