Product co-development for the European Integrated Railway Radio-enhanced network project
A global telecom equipment company which makes core switching, wireless and optical systems for telephone carriers and data service providers, worldwide.
The client had over 60% market share in the GSM-R space, but wanted to add new features to maintain market leadership. It also wanted to reduce expenditure and overheads.
Infosys set up an Offshore Development Center (ODC), which functioned as an arm of the clients' R&D labs. The Infosys team leveraged established techniques and in-house development tools for quick feature development and deployment. It also used a call simulation application to simulate voice traffic to ensure scalability of the clients' GSM and GSM-R products.
The client gained multiple benefits:
- The maintenance support addressed the vendor's implementation challenges
- Knowledge related to coding and management gained during implementation was shared with the client
- The MSC developed by Infosys enabled better deployment of GSM-R services across huge distances in various countries
- The solution indirectly strengthened areas related to the transportation of cargo on trains
- Train travelers benefited because of advanced GSM-R features such as online passenger information system and web access in running trains
- Unscheduled downtime per year is just 15 seconds for railways running on this system
- The system included robust features such as scalability, high capacity, interoperability and interconnectivity