End-to-end testing solutions for a Fortune 100 insurer
A Fortune 100 company, the client is a leading personal lines insurer in the US. The company sells 13 major lines of insurance, including auto, property, life and commercial, and has revenues of more than US$35 billion (2006).
The client wanted to provide customers with an improved business transaction platform. The company had to replace its ageing legacy platform with a sophisticated service-oriented architecture (SOA) and component-based application. Infosys partnered with the client to provide an end-to-end testing solution for the existing legacy applications and the new Web-based application.
Infosys became a strategic partner in the client's efforts to improve IT efficiency. We integrated various business processes and channels, leveraged reusable frameworks and components for better response to business requirements and improved financial predictability.
Our approach to advanced testing focused on the reduction in cycle time. We achieved it through extensive automation and tools usage and a near-17 hour testing cycle using the Global Delivery Model (GDM). Since the client was not familiar with an outsourced testing delivery model, we set up an offshore embassy and transitioned services from an onsite-centric delivery model to maximize offshore delivery. It helped in successfully carrying out the manual and automated functional testing on the legacy system and the Web-based application in record time. Currently, we are in the process of establishing a Testing Center of Excellence (TCOE) with near-shoring and offshoring capabilities.
Lack of complete test coverage and incomplete execution and analysis of the regression test bed caused risks to the quality of the data. Infosys developed automation regression testing plans and automated 80 percent of the applications. It helped in widening the test coverage for the back-end system used by the application.
To help the business team reduce the time it took to create data sheets, the Infosys team created VB-Macro for test data sheet generation. In addition, we created various Excel macros to help the system testing and UAT teams.
Infosys helped the client establish change management, release management, project estimation, and slotting and communication processes so that processes can be easily adhered to. It contributed substantially to the overall procedures and helped the testing process to be effective and sustainable.
- Vast amount of testing delivered on time, resulting in increased efficiency and fewer production defects
- Automated test execution percentage increased from 60 percent to 95 percent in the regression test bed
- Development of new tools to automate data-related verification led to reduction in manual errors and higher percentage of defects identified in the early stages of testing
- Lower total cost of ownership through GDM and improvements in test case scripting and execution productivity
- Instituted an effective knowledge management methodology to reduce training time
- Developed enhanced status reporting and a monthly metrics dashboard to track progress