Infosys Accelerates Data-driven Innovation for Enterprises Through the Infosys Information Platform
Companies including Ricoh Americas Corporation, Syngenta and The Hershey Company adopt open source based platform
San Francisco - April 30, 2015: Infosys (NYSE: INFY), a global leader in consulting, technology, outsourcing and next-generation services, today announced details of the Infosys Information Platform (IIP), including new pre-packaged solutions from Infosys BPO and Infosys Finacle.
IIP is an open source data analytics platform that enables businesses to operationalize their data assets and uncover new opportunities for rapid innovation and growth. IIP leverages the power of open source to address big data adoption challenges for enterprises, such as inadequate accessibility of easy-to-use development tools, a fragmented approach to building data pipelines, and lack of an enterprise-ready version of open source big data analytics platform that can support all forms of data – structured, semi-structured and unstructured.
Since introducing IIP to clients just six months ago, Infosys has engaged with numerous clients across various industry sectors, including banking, insurance, retail, pharmaceutical, mining, and manufacturing. Examples include:
Christian Bayer, Head of Data and Information, Syngenta
"As part of the review of our reporting and analytics platform we asked Infosys to show us their capabilities in big data analytics and the ability to deliver a solution quickly. Within two weeks they built a proof of concept based on IIP, their state of the art data analytics platform. The platform is a competitive data analytics solution that Infosys made available quickly and relatively inexpensively. It could be used for any enterprise use case that needs to manage mass volume of data and complex calculations and transformations."
Carlos E. Amesquita, Chief Information Officer, The Hershey Company
"At heart, Hershey is a knowledge company. We want to put Consumer, Customer, Market, and Industry understanding at the center of all our decisions. Infosys, our strategic partner, recently shared with us their new Infosys Information Platform (IIP). I am quite impressed with this new capability and especially the speed it offers to organizations like ours, to ingest diverse data sets, and harmonize and link them together to derive insights. We are excited to be engaged with Infosys using IIP to further build our capability to turn diverse data into knowledge and insights."
Balaji Rangaswamy, Chief Information Officer, Ricoh Americas Corporation
"In today's new world of work, big data analytics is playing a key role in helping companies make more solid business decisions and better understand their customers. It is enabling companies to increase revenues and reduce costs. Technology is bringing disparate systems together and using the data science to predict buying patterns and equip the sales force with the qualitative data they need to sell more effectively. The Infosys Information Platform is proving to be a great asset for Ricoh's system strategy -- bringing together our Social, Mobile, Analytics and Cloud technologies. We are beginning to see actionable results delivered at a rapid pace and are looking forward to what's next in our predictive analytics journey together."
Infosys is working with clients on a variety of scenarios, several of which have already gone into live production:
- Trade data analysis and regulatory reporting in near real-time for a financial major, which has resulted in approximately 18X improvement in the speed of report generation.
- Improved service levels for a leading ATM manufacturing and services company. IIP enabled 18 percent reduction in the cost of maintaining ATMs, along with approximately 15 percent improvement in efficiency of service technicians
- Predictive maintenance to prevent network faults for a telecom major. As a result, corrective actions could be scheduled one week in advance
- Improved price to performance for analytics on very large data volumes for a retail banking major. The bank’s annual transaction logs for 530 million credit card accounts were processed in approximately 11 minutes
- Customer churn prediction for a leading automation major. The solution performed predictive analysis to support engagement strategies, and helped the client improve retention rates. Sixty six million customer records can be processed to make these predictions in less than six minutes
- Optimization of working capital for a mining major that identified US$ 27 million attributed to early invoicing by vendors
- Telematics-based prediction model for an insurance major, which has resulted in approximately 100X improvement in execution times for segmentation models and 8X improvement in model generation times
IIP is a key part of the Infosys strategy to help clients renew existing landscapes and bring new innovation to clients that enables them to grow and transform. IIP is already being used by Infosys Finacle and BPO to deliver new capabilities to the clients.
Infosys Finacle is using IIP to power its customer analytics solution for financial institutions. The solution enables banks to generate insights across business operations such as non-profitable asset (NPA) analysis, customer churn and profitability analysis. This enables them to optimize their customer engagement and management strategies in order to deliver a differentiated service experience.
Infosys BPO is using IIP to power its
'Forecasting As A Service' offering. This service enables enterprises to identify working capital improvement opportunities (in accounts payable, receivable and inventory analysis) and enhancing customer experience in supply chain and fulfillment processes and business forecasting.
The extensive use of open source in IIP reflects the commitment of Infosys to the open source community. Infosys also wants to grow this adoption by making significant improvements in areas like performance and security, and is contributing these changes back to the community. Through its platinum sponsorship of the Open Data Platform (ODP) initiative, Infosys is working with other industry leaders to promote and advance the state of Apache Hadoop® and other enterprise big data technologies. IIP already supports the ODP core, which will help ensure cross-vendor compatibility, and also enterprise requirements in areas such as security, governance, and availability.
Vishal Sikka, CEO and Managing Director, Infosys
"Open source enables us to deliver an enterprise class data platform to our clients and their end-users in entirely new ways – from security to quality to customization to flexibility. We are the first IT services company to leverage open source in this way, bringing the value-added applications like predictive maintenance, regulatory reporting, planning and forecasting on top. With IIP, we are bringing a unique experience to our clients in their efforts to manage, understand and act on data – and in the true spirit of open source, we will share these enhancements and contribute them back to the open source community to help promote and advance both the reach and the speed of data driven innovation in the enterprise."
Abdul Razack, Head of Platforms, Infosys
"Data is at the heart of every enterprise and the Infosys Information Platform enables companies to derive insights from large and diverse data sets. IIP uses open source technologies and runs on commodity hardware to provide a cost-effective solution for enterprises to manage data and leverage innovations seamlessly."
Holger Kisker, Ph.D. VP, Research Director. Forrester Research*
"A flexible, agile big data platform is an essential requirement, and should be put in place sooner rather than later. Such a platform can cater for all of the data management and analytics scenarios, as well as additional advanced techniques such as predictive modeling, semantic search, or geospatial analytics."
- Reduces overall costs by utilizing an open-source technology stack running on commodity hardware, and delivers vastly improved price to performance, with its use of in-memory processing
- Features a scalable and elastic hardware setup, with multiple deployment options such as on premise as well as public and private clouds
- Includes out-of-box components and tooling critical for enterprise usage, including features like one-click deployment, version management, security, governance and multiple data adapters to reduce time-to-insights
- Provides access to both real-time and batch data processing, structured, semi-structured, or unstructured data analytics, and in-built components for data ingestion and creation of multi-step data pipelines
- Features a data science workbench that supports self-service exploratory analysis and out-of-box integration with open-source projects like R (a free software environment for statistical computing and graphics), and also third-party BI tools
Infosys will share more details about IIP at this year’s confluence event in San Francisco
More information about the Infosys Information Platform can be found at
*Source: Forrester Research Inc, Strategic Planning For Big Data: Getting It Right, August 2014, Holger Kisker Ph.D