Dr Ravi Kumar, G.V.V. is the Associate Vice President and Senior Principal of the Advanced Engineering Group at Infosys. He has 27 years of research and industrial experience and his areas of interest include aircraft structures, knowledge based engineering, composites, Artificial Intelligence, robotics, Industry 4.0 and High-performance Computing. He was involved in the development of Infosys AI platform 'Nia'. He was also actively involved in KRTI 4.0, the AI framework for operational excellence, which applies AI, cognitive learning and Machine to Machine (M2M) capabilities to the industrial environment.
He has consulted and executed commercial aerospace projects for American and European OEMs on airframe structural designing and development with both metals and composites. His projects included aircraft programs comprising A380, B787, B747-8, Indian RTA etc.
Prior to joining Infosys in 2002, Dr. Ravi was a scientist and worked on various engineering designs and development programs including the commercial composites software AUTOLAY, a spin-off of the Indian Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) program. He was involved in the development of concepts and solutions for both structural and system health management, as well as in the implementation of diagnostic and prognostics algorithms for engineering applications. He has also designed and implemented Industry 4.0 solutions for various industries.
He is a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), the International Society of Automation (ISA), SAE International and on the Aerospace Board of SAE India. He is in the SAE International HM1 (Health Management) technical committee for defining Integrated Vehicle Health Management (IVHM) standards.
Dr. Ravi was on the panel of the acatech (German Academy of Science and Engineering) consortium which developed the Industry 4.0 maturity index. He was also a member of the World Economic Forum (WEF) initiative on the factory of the future.
He has authored over fifty technical papers in various journals, conferences and other external forums, and has three patents to his credit.
Dr Ravi has won many awards including the corporate excellence award from the American Society of Engineers of Indian Origin (ASEI).
- "Improving Manufacturing Efficiencies through Industry 4.0 Technologies in Aerospace", SAE Technical Paper, 2018
- "The disruption in oil and gas upstream business by Industry 4.0", Infosys, 2018
- "From the shop floor to top floor: Making the invisible visible", Infosys, 2018
- "Diagnostics and Prognostics of Centrifugal Chillers", Infosys, 2017
- "Making Industry 4.0 real - using the acatech I4.0 Maturity Index", Infosys, 2017
- "Enhancing Asset Efficiency in the Process Industry", Infosys Insights, 2016
- "An Engineering Services Framework for Additive Manufacturing", Infosys, 2016
- "Driving Efficiencies through Smart Connected Products”, Indo-US workshop on Essential Algorithms for Integrated Vehicle Health Management for Aerospace Applications (WIVHM), 2016
- "Leveraging Digital Technologies for Enhancing Productivity in F&B Industry", presentation at FoodSafe, National Symposium on Automation & Digital Transformation of F&B Industry, 2016
- "Effect of through the thickness selective stitching on Inter-laminar strength in Bonded Lap Joints of Composite Laminates", 2016
- "Carbon Composites are becoming Competitive and Cost Effective for Automobile Industry, Automotive Mega Trends", 2015
- 201841040058, Indian Patent Application No. (Provisional), System and method for cleaning of solar panels, 2018
- US Patent Application No. 62/504849, Systems and methods for aerial treatment of overhead cabling, 2017
- US8670893, Framework for supporting repair processes of aircraft, 2009
Aeronautical Development Agency
Scientist 1997 - 2000
Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
PhD in Computational impact dynamics
Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
Masters in Applied Mechanics, specializing in stress analysis and CAD
Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani
Bachelors in Civil Engineering (Honours)