Design and Development of a Pricing Tool for Transmission and Distribution Operation
The client is a West Coast-based, large electric utility. Its functions include distribution and supply of electricity to a wide range of customers including small domestic customers and medium/large commercial and industrial users.
The client was facing a lot of operational issues with the current systems most of which were disparate and antiquated. Besides there were inadequate work management functions making the systems expensive to use and maintain. Also there were a number of complex pricing techniques based on regulatory rules giving rise to inaccurate pricing.
The client therefore wanted to develop a scalable architecture, which would be compatible with other Planner/Designer tools, construct configurable computing algorithms, which would give cost and price breakdown and pilot a working prototype with the cost estimate and pricing capability.
The biggest challenge was dealing with old and antiquated systems with complex codes compiled at different points of time. The next big issue was to cope with the task of integration of varied systems for the design and planning organization.
Infosys formulated a comprehensive solution that covered the following aspects:
- Requirements validation and Planning
- High Level design
- Detailed design
- Unit and Integration Testing
- Support during User Verification and Testing
- Offshore Project Management and Onsite Co-ordination activities
Visual Basic was used along with Sybase SQL Anywhere database to build the prototype. Additionally Infosys formulated an integration roadmap for the client.
The quality of our solution was highly appreciated by the client because it helped them to achieve the following benefits:
- Improvements both in processes and tools in the area of cost estimating and pricing
- Development of a pricing engine independent of Design tool and Back End Work Management System
- Easy to accommodate regulatory changes in pricing and estimating due to flexible and configuration design of the system