Evolving customer self-service portal
The client is one of the oldest gas distribution companies in the U.S. It operates six local distribution companies to provide gas to residential, commercial and industrial customers and serves over 2.3 million customers.
- Drive use of web instead of call centers
- Reduce contact with call centers
- Simplify customers' ability to communicate
- Provide a high quality experience for customers through a user-friendly portal
- Provide tools for energy usage analysis
- Provide paperless billing to promote green initiatives
- Satisfy regulatory compliance requirements
As part of roadmap evolution, Infosys conducted workshops with stakeholders to generate ideas and prioritize them depending on complexity and value.
The first phase of implementation included basic functionalities to establish a web presence, allowing customers to sign-up and make payments through the website, and view their account details. The application was designed to provide a near real-time access to the customer information system (CIS) data.
As part of future enhancements, Infosys enabled multiple functionalities and features like bill dashboard, bill comparison, paperless billing, etc.
- Reduction in direct calls to customer contact centers
- Paperless billing registrations helped reduce costs associated with printing and shipping of bills
- Implementation of SOA architecture facilitates re-usability and flexibility for further development activities, and also leverage the services across other channels like IVR
- Significant cost savings by leveraging the Infosys proprietary solution - Infosys Customer Self-Service Energy Manager, and reduced time of implementation
- Over 22% customers registered online to leverage the easy-to-use portal
- Upward trend in payments over web
- Positive customer feedback on the easy and intuitive navigation