Infosys Releases 13th Sustainability Report
Bengaluru, India - June 10, 2020: Infosys recently released its 13th Annual Sustainability Report that defines its role in the society as a corporate institution, and the choices it is making to move towards a zero-carbon future. The report provides detailed information on the practices Infosys follows as a responsible business, and an ethically strong organization. The report, which has been prepared in accordance with the GRI (Global Reporting Initiative) Standards Comprehensive option, also explains how Infosys’ concept of being a Live Enterprise reflects strongly in its practices as a sustainable organization. It also forms the basis of the company’s Communication on Progress (CoP) with the UNGC each year.
The report can be accessed here – https://www.infosys.com/sustainability/documents/infosys-sustainability-report-2019-20.pdf
The key highlights of the Sustainability Report 2019-20 are:
- Smart automation has enabled remote monitoring, control, and optimization of operations across 150 buildings covering about 30 million sq. ft of space across Infosys.
- Infosys limited its absolute increase in electricity consumption to 20%, while the employee strength grew by 166% over the last decade.
- Achieved 33.5MW reduction in connected load due to energy efficiency retrofits over the last decade.
- Infosys has installed radiant cooling technology in over 5 million sq. ft of office buildings, providing an efficient and healthy environment for employees.
- Infosys commissioned an additional 10 MW capacity in the solar plant in Sira, Karnataka, to make it a 40 MW plant. With this, the company now has a total capacity of about 60 MW of solar PV across Infosys, including rooftop and ground-mounted systems.
- 44.3% of total electricity across Infosys campuses in India was from renewable sources in FY20.
Carbon offsets in the community
- 150% of carbon offsets were cumulatively generated through the company’s community offset projects for all its scopes of emissions.
- 102,000 families continued to benefit socially and economically from the company’s carbon offset projects, reducing over 462,000 tCO2e emissions, as on March 31, 2020.
- In fiscal 2020, Infosys’ new buildings in Hyderabad were awarded Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Platinum certification from the US Green Building Council.
- The company also received the LEED Platinum Existing Building certification for its campuses in Bangalore, Pune and Bhubaneswar. With this, Infosys now has 34 projects with the highest level of green building certification, spanning a total area of 25.08 million sq. ft. An additional 4.3 million sq. ft of space is currently in the process of green building certification.
- Infosys achieved 63.75% reduction in per capita freshwater consumption between fiscal 2008 and 2020; 9.45% reduction in per capita water consumption in 2020
- 40 liters/employee average daily fresh water consumption
- Zero wastewater discharge from Infosys campuses
Waste to resource
- Infosys continued to maintain capacity to treat 100% organic waste including food and garden waste within campuses
- Infosys reduced the use of non-recyclable and single-use plastics by 91% since 2018
- Infosys is the first Indian corporate to receive the UN Global Climate Action Award in ‘Climate Neutral Now’ Category at COP25 in December 2019 for its carbon neutral program.
- Implemented organizational policy changes to accommodate remote working, leave, flexible working, asset management, reimbursement, etc. and made arrangements to ensure safety and comfort of employees across campuses and of employees stranded onsite, among several other measures.
- Enabled remote working for employees worldwide via secure laptops and desktops, with information security controls, and increased bandwidth capacities for the company’s data networks and associated IT infrastructure, along with leveraging collaboration platforms extensively.
- Framed guidelines for employees to work from home, including sensitizing them about the aspects of confidentiality, data privacy and cyber threats.
For further information, please contact: PR_global@infosys.com