Mobile-based Baggage Tracking System for a Large US-based Airline
The client is one of the largest airlines in the United States.
The client required an application that would eliminate the need for manual data-entry for baggage movement.
The client managed the entire process of bag-loading and flight-balancing operations manually using paper trip sheets. This resulted in:
- High percentage of lost bags due to manual errors. In six months, ending June 2009, client paid more than US$ 700,000 for baggage claims
- Frequent delays in take-off owing to inability to complete baggage-load-balancing activity on time
- Frequent unavailability of flight-loading details for validation. This resulted in failure to comply with aviation guidelines and imposition of fines by the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
Infosys introduced Windows Mobile®-based device application, developed as part of a wider airport operations automation program for the client, to automate end-to-end baggage movement within airports. The application eliminated the need for manual reconciliation and automated delivery of real-time flight and baggage data to crew chiefs. The entire work flow of baggage movement, from check-in point to a flight, was automated with rollout of the application.
The application automated the entire process of baggage-loading including:
- Bag room movement
- Sorting of baggage
- Baggage loading into flight containers
- Flight loading on to tarmac
In addition, the application enabled:
- Real-time alerts for overloaded containers
- Made loading data available for audits and validation in real-time
- Reduced possibility of missed bags and overloaded or unbalanced flights thereby leading to 100% compliance with US federal regulations on data validation
- Reduced delays in flight takeoffs associated with non-completion of bag-loading and balancing operations on time
- Helped near-elimination of baggage loss due to errors at loading point, leading to cash savings