Design and Development of Instrument Panel
An interior supplier in Europe was given the mandate to develop an instrument panel for a truck program.
The company sought support for the development of the instrument panel. It was mandated by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) to save on engineering costs for the whole program.
Infosys provided design and development support from the conceptual design phase to the tooling release, with a majority of design activities undertaken in India.
Some of the salient features of the solution were:
- Use of multiple tools to generate optimum solutions
- Feasibility of the design early in the lifecycle with respect to manufacturability, assembly, serviceability, and aesthetics, resulting in lesser revisions on the style surface
- Use of modular approach to derive variants
- Saving in tooling costs around US$ 0.5 million as a result of the modular design
- Improved flexibility of fixed cost, as the India-based design team was ramped up or down, based on work involved in various lifecycle stages