Knowledge-based engineering is the process of capturing the knowledge created in the product development process. It is reused and enhanced with parameters and rules, integrating it with knowledge (design) templates.
There are several areas where knowledge-based engineering is required:
- Intense pressure on product development cycle time and cost across various industries force them to create different platforms. Such platforms can formalize design and development processes, infuse organizational knowledge and best practices to automate them, and reduce cycle time, cost, and design lapses.
- Finally, an aging work force, globally distributed systems, and disparate design and manufacturing necessitate scientific capture and reuse of engineering knowledge.
- Knowledge-based engineering (KBE) maturity model for capability assessment and road map definition via organization-wide surveys and assessment
- Product knowledge configurators that capture information in a structured way, capture complex knowledge paths, and display resulting information to the user at every stage
- Unified solutions for handling data and workflow - from concept to manufacturing, reducing cost and rework while improving time-to-market and product success rates
- State-of-the-art infrastructure to engage in product development on various KBE platforms, and APIs and tools; includes both commercial off-the-shelf and standalone platforms
KBE offerings from Infosys span the complete product life cycle cutting across various industry applications:
- KBE system consulting
- KBE-based product development
- Process improvement through KBE
- KBE application development and maintenance
KBE in retail