IT Production Support & Maintenance
The client is a large west coast-based electric utility company. It distributes electricity to a wide range of customers including small domestic customers and medium / large commercial and industrial users. It also has significant generating capacity from interests in nuclear, hydroelectric and fossil-fueled power plants.
After a successful replacement of its
legacy CIS system with a distributed customer service system based on a relational database, the client wanted to execute production support and maintenance for the applications, for a cost effective solution. The client decided to examine offshore possibilities to support this objective. It wanted to capitalize on the competency of the outsourcing vendor selected to create a common team for optimizing the utilization of onsite and offshore resources.
The biggest challenge in the offshore maintenance work was streamlining the coordination between the offshore and the onsite team, which led to the development of a robust governance model, to ensure seamless knowledge transfer. Also the SLA requirements were very stringent as the client was focusing on reducing maintenance cost through increase in productivity and a metrics-driven SLA.
Infosys provided production support and maintenance of the following applications:
CSS Workstation: Billing Organization Application used to resolve process exceptions
CWO Workstation: Call Center Application used to respond to customer queries and logging their requests
AM Dispatchers: Background CICS Programs that process requests made from the workstations
TRUIP: Usage and Revenue Integration program
Billing: Batch/ Background CICS Programs for bill calculations and generations
Other value added services provided are
- Monitoring of process error queues
- Onsite assistance in reviews and sign-offs
- Assist in implementation and production verification
- Offshore Project Management and Onsite Co-ordination activities
In due course the different technologies that were used were PowerBuilder, COBOL, JCL and middleware MQ series
Infosys was able to bring in the necessary technical competencies and experience. It had the ability to accommodate immediate and new requirements. Some of the key benefits the client achieved from offshoring maintenance were:
- This function provided the infrastructure to integrate all the billing functions on the customer service workstation application, thus improving queue worker's productivity
- Intelligent routing of work to appropriate business experts
- Automatically bringing up the function required to resolve the exception
- Continuous improvement framework: Root cause analysis of all process exceptions and other work could easily be done based on the data collected by this system. The action taken was linked to the original source of the work or process exception providing good inputs for further automation
- Work monitoring: Ability to show pending work, work load, productivity of users etc